Monday, April 25, 2011

When 2 become 3!!


After a good year of no blogging, I thought I would update you all on what is happening in our lives!

On March 27, 2011 at 10:27 P.M. Dave and I welcomed the newest addition to our family. Mateo Manuel Chookaszian, a gorgeous little boy :).

Labor pains started early on March 26th and lucky me was in labor for approximately 36 hours before he came. It was a crazy experience but one of the most wonderful by far!!

Some things I'm learning about being a NEW mommy!
1. People say you don't get sleep but you don't REALLY understand that until you go through it. It's kind of what I imagine Chinese water torture to be like...Just when you think baby is asleep...he wakes up crying!

2. Breastfeeding takes FOREVER! I always pictured breastfeeding to be this cute bonding time of about 15-30 mins tops. Well the first 2 weeks it felt like I would never be able to even shower with baby on me all the time. Fortunately, by week 4 it has proven to get better.

3. Moms are the best! I don't think I could have survived the first 2 weeks without my mom or Dave's mom. It has been wonderful to have my mom come over and take Mateo when I am exhausted or just need a shower. Dave's mom cleaned our apartment and did our laundry...that's the only reason we are wearing clean clothes :) Not to mention both of them have blessed us with their unbelievable cooking...I think I could have more babies just to have that! :)

4. Crying is okay...Yep, I heard so many other moms say that they just cried the first few weeks. Well I cried day 2 at the hospital when I couldn't get Mateo to calm down or stop crying. The first day at home was insane and not at all what you expect when you're day-dreaming about being a mom. I cried, and it's ok. I guess it just shows us even more how much we need others and especially God to get us through the tough times.

5. Diapers are only good if they contain everything! So far, we've had poop on our walls, sent 2 pillows to the dry cleaners, hoped and hoped for the day his umbilical cord would fall out because we ran out of clothes he could wear...and done at least 2 loads of laundry every day.


Being a mommy is hard but I know it will be all worth it when he finally gives me a smile or says "ma ma". I am so thankful for friends that already have kids...they are the best at giving advice. I've found older women sometimes forget how it FEELS and sometimes say insensitive things but the friends I have that have small kids really understand and are able to sympathize more :)

Well that's it for now...I'm sure I'll learn more and more as time goes on.

1 comment:

rongaskins said...

Keren, Your mentioning that you are learning lots of new things is an understatement. You will find this to be the richest learning time of your life. First, you are ripe to learn ... everything is so new; but moving from the theoretical to the real is astonishingly powerful. You can hardly imagine ever being confident about anything, but it will indeed come. It will be a gift when it arrives. Prayer is the safest and most productive place to begin any overwhelming moment to befall you.