Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summer: Here Again....Gone Again...

Wow, it's been quite a summer! I've had a lot of UP time and a lot of DOWN time too...which is really gives me no excuse for not having updated the blog! Anyway, I thought I would take a minute or two to write about our summer adventures...particularly the trip Dave and I got to take to Venezuela. We spent two weeks there and traveled from Maracay to Merida, Merida to Barquisimeto/El Tocuyo, then back to Maracay and our final stop was Caracas. There are really too many stories to tell so I am going to do a picture countdown of our favorite moments in Maracay/San Juan.


5. In Venezuela they give you a straw with every drink, EVERY drink...even water bottles. Not a problem for me but Dave really hates straws. Now Dave is usually up for doing whatever is normal to the culture but this was one custom he did not embrace!

4. Being in a socialist country was quite interesting. It was interesting to see what the government was doing and to hear people's opinons about the situation. In general, we found that the wealthier people did not enjoy socialism as much as the poor...to put it nicely. This is a picture of the country's new slogan. "Long Live Venezuela, My dear country! Patriotism, Socialism or Death, We will Conquer".

3. Speaking of a socialist country...we had the great privilege to watch a military promotion ceremony. I got to take lots of pictures...now keep in mind this isn't something most normal tourists get to do! During their speeches they referred to the US as the "Imperial Yankees". Anyway, I'm sure they didn't know we were visiting from the US...which is why we got to take the following picture!!!
2. Spending time with the family was of course a top moment in our trip. Here is a picture of Dave and I with my Grandfather and cousins!
1. My ultimate favorite moment in Maracay was quite possibly when Dave ate an Amazonian hot sauce that was made of fire red ants without even knowing it!! We later examined the bottle and found ant legs that weren't fully liquified! Blah!

1 comment:

The Hangs said...

I'm assuming you've been to Venezuela before, so what # is that for you?
I saw your pics on fb. It looks beautiful!
that is really gross about the ants...