My favorite moment during the time in Houston was listening to Asdrubal (Keren's dad) tell stories about his hometown, El Tocullo. He told us about all the crazy, old people that the neighborhood kids used to mess with. Iris says that most of them have probably passed away by now, but I hope to meet at least one of them when we go. I don't remember any of the nicknames they were given, but they were very entertaining.
Spending those few days in Houston was like getting a taste of what it will be like in Venezuela. We are all very excited for the trip, for different reasons. I'm excited to meet the rest of the family and for the first time truly experience this part of Keren's life; Keren is excited to share this part of her life with me and also to reconnect with her roots; Iris is excited to see family and friends; Asdrubal is excited to see his homeland after 10 years away and more importantly, to sit down and have a good, long conversation with his father over a cup of coffee. Cesar? Not exactly sure what he is excited about yet. I think once we get there that he will find something. I'm excited for him to be there so that I can have a workout buddy. I'll need the exercise as it is going to be all arepas and plantanos, all the time.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment